We are always in need of a part-time bicycle mechanic during our busy season (March - October) for our bicycle adventure and rental operation. This position would be ideal for someone working part-time in another role and looking to make some extra money, a student or someone who just wants to wrench without needing to be a salesperson.
We're not your typical bike shop – we have no showroom and are not a walk-in full-service shop. We are geared for bike tours and rentals by delivery. We have fleets of full-carbon road bikes, alloy road bikes, and performance hybrids. For additional information about what we offer, please browse this website (our tour site) and our bike rental site.
Job Description: Part-Time Bike Mechanic
- Repairs and upkeep for all fleet bicycles
- General bicycle maintenance, prepping bikes for rental, personalized as per customer specifications
- Occasionally act as mechanical support for local tours and events
- Miscellaneous tasks to support our tour business: gear inventory, warehouse organization, vehicle prep, etc
- Occasionally act as delivery driver during peak season (as needed)
- 10-20 hours per week
- Standard hours are Mon-Fri 10:00 am to 6:00 pm, but we operate during events on the weekend sometimes
- Limited work on weekends, generally only as needed in peak season and for special events
- Minimum age: 18
- 1-2 years experience at a bicycle shop as a mechanic
- Must have physical ability to lift 40 lbs
- Current driver's license and good driving record (but you don't need to own a car)
- Smartphone (with data plan) if you need to do deliveries
- Be able to "speak bike"
- Thorough working knowledge of modern carbon road bikes, Di2 shifting, hydraulic disc brakes, etc (we will train you on the systems you're less familiar with)
- Good time management, knowing how to triage multiple requests according to urgency, etc
- Excellent interpersonal skills. Black Sheep prides itself in providing exceptional customer service
- Three references (at least two professional)
- Keen attention to detail, critical thinking, ability to problem-solve
- Ability to think on your feet and prioritize effectively
- Professional and ethical behavior
- Self-sufficient and team player — we are a small business and you'll be working alone for parts of the day and collaborating with others for the balance
- Fun sense of humor — we all work hard and value working with people who can laugh, especially at themselves
- Hourly wage: $15-20+/hr — depends on experience
- Pro-Deals on gear (30-50% discount on bikes, related outdoor equipment and clothing)
- Casual work environment
- Free Oakland Airport parking (hey, our location has its advantages)
- Working with a small team of people who love bicycles and travel
NO PHONE CALLS REGARDING THIS POSTING PLEASE. We are a small company so please respect our time and our process. Thank you!