Black Sheep Adventures is hiring! Do you like the idea of being a big fish in a small pond, part of dynamic, talented team working in a fun industry? We are a small, but rapidly growing, adventure travel company based near Oakland Airport and operate tours mostly in California and various other US destinations with eyes set on returning to the international scene in the near term. We specialize in creating custom multi-day vacations for small groups with a mix of bicycling, hiking, kayaking and sightseeing as well as educational travel programs for prestigious university alumni groups and non-profits such as Stanford and Smithsonian Journeys.
Manage a portfolio of trips from the initial planning through to completion of the tours.
Some (of the many) Roles:
- Research, design and write-up adventure and educational trip itineraries
- Communicate with guests, partner tour companies and vendors via phone and email
- Manage part-time employees to help with your workload
- Process bookings
- Create trip binders and other tour documentation for our tour guides to use in the field
- Identify areas for process improvement and work with the team to implement them
Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Excellent PC computer skills (Word & Excel)
- Excellent analytical skills
- Excellent time management – able to prioritize appropriately to respond to the most urgent & important requests first
- Excellent multitasker – half your day will be spent doing projects, the other half will be spent getting interrupted from those projects
- Aptitude & eagerness to learn new skills
- Ability to work as part of a team as well as on your own with little direction
- Past guiding experience is a huge plus, but not a requirement
- Currently located in the Bay Area (ideally the East Bay) – given the Bay Area's record breaking high cost of living, applicants from outside the area looking to relocate here will be very difficult to consider as solving the real estate equation is harder than you might think
Essential Personality Traits:
- A love of travel – ideally bicycle-based, adventure and educational travel
- Innate passion to deliver excellent service – our guests can sometimes expect a lot and we always try to exceed their expectations
- Exceptional attention to detail – need to appreciate the small details while keeping in mind the big picture
- Ability to think on your feet – Plan A can be quickly derailed, how do you do with plan B through Z?
- Outgoing personality & appreciation of people from a variety of backgrounds – our guests can have very different backgrounds and motivations
- Professional and ethical behavior – all of our employees have a lot of responsibility and are expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner when dealing with guests, vendors and colleagues
- Unflappable – a lot is expected of us and we need to deliver without issue
- Desire to work in a small office environment
- Fun sense of humor – we all work hard and value working with people who can laugh, especially at themselves
To apply, please send one email to email@example.com with the subject line: "Operations Manager – Job" and the following:
- One-page resume
- List of three professional references
- One-page cover letter – in your cover letter, please explain why you think you are a good fit for this job, a paragraph describing the best trip you've ever experienced and your compensation requirements.
Note: We will be interviewing on an ongoing basis over the next few weeks with the goal of hiring the best candidate to start immediately. The position is fulltime, with the possibility for a flexible schedule and some telecommuting possible after initial training is completed.